Posts

No Immediate Vaccine Available for Bundibugyo Ebola Outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo

Image
‎A vaccine will not be available anytime soon to help contain the Ebola outbreak currently affecting the Democratic Republic of Congo. ‎ ‎Health officials say there are no approved vaccines designed specifically for the Bundibugyo species of Ebola, the strain believed to have caused 139 deaths so far. According to global health authorities, the leading vaccine candidate remains months away from being available, with estimates ranging from six to nine months before doses can be produced. ‎ ‎No vaccine is currently available for the Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak in DRC, with promising candidates still months away. ‎Getty Images ‎Speaking at a recent briefing, Vasee Moorthy, senior adviser on research and development at the World Health Organization, said efforts are “fully activated to accelerate research and development for medical countermeasures in this context.” ‎ ‎Focus Shifts to Treatment and Case Detection ‎ ‎While vaccine development continues, health officials say immedi...

American Doctor Tests Positive for Ebola While Treating Patients in Virus-Hit DR Congo Region

Image
‎An American doctor serving in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has tested positive for Ebola during the ongoing outbreak, according to the international Christian missions organization Serge. ‎ ‎The organization confirmed Monday that Dr. Peter Stafford, a medical missionary working at Nyankunde Hospital, was exposed to the virus while treating patients. Serge said Stafford sought testing after developing symptoms associated with Ebola. ‎ ‎American doctor in DR Congo tests positive for Ebola as CDC intensifies response and travel restrictions. ‎Serge ‎Stafford has been serving at Nyankunde Hospital since 2023. According to Serge, two other medical missionaries, including Stafford’s wife, were caring for patients in the region when the outbreak began. Both remain asymptomatic. ‎ ‎Addressing the situation, Joel Hylton, Serge’s senior director of mission, said: ‎ ‎"Our medical teams labor in some of the most demanding settings in the world, serving vulnerable co...

‎San Diego Mosque Shooting: Suspects Identified as Teens Found Dead After Attack

Image
‎Authorities have identified the two alleged gunmen involved in the deadly shooting outside a San Diego mosque that left three people dead. ‎ ‎According to a law enforcement source, the suspects were 17-year-old Cain Clark and 18-year-old Caleb Velasquez. Investigators were also told that at least one of the suspects took a weapon from his parents' home before the attack and left behind a suicide note that discussed racial pride. ‎ ‎Three people were killed outside a San Diego mosque as police investigate anti-Islamic writings and hate-related evidence. ‎CA Post ‎Clark was a student at Madison High School and was recognized as a standout wrestler, according to the school's social media accounts. His grandfather, David Clark, 78, reacted to the news by saying: “We’re very sorry for what happened. We know as much as you do. It’s a shock.” ‎ Cain Clark, 17, was identified as one of the alleged gunmen in Monday’s shooting at a San Diego mosque. madison.warha...

Canada Confirms Hantavirus Case Linked to Deadly MV Hondius Cruise Outbreak as Global Monitoring Continues

Image
‎Canadian health officials have confirmed that one of four Canadians who returned from the MV Hondius cruise ship has tested positive for hantavirus, as international authorities continue monitoring the outbreak connected to the vessel. ‎ ‎The Public Health Agency of Canada announced the confirmed result on Sunday after British Columbia’s top public health officer had earlier described the case as a “presumptive positive.” ‎ Canada confirmed a hantavirus case tied to the MV Hondius cruise outbreak as global health officials monitor infections and deaths. ‎AP Photo ‎“One individual’s sample was confirmed positive for hantavirus,” the agency said in a statement. ‎ ‎Officials added that more testing will be carried out at a national laboratory, although it was not immediately known whether the additional analysis would focus on confirmation, strain characterization, or another purpose. ‎ ‎The outbreak linked to the MV Hondius has continued to draw global attention after multip...

Ebola Virus Resurfaces in DR Congo After Previous Outbreak Warning

Image
‎The United States is providing technical assistance to the governments of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda following confirmed Ebola outbreaks in both countries, according to the acting head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ‎ ‎On Friday, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed an Ebola outbreak in Congo’s Ituri province. Officials reported 246 suspected infections and 65 deaths linked to the outbreak. Uganda’s health ministry also confirmed that a Congolese man died in Kampala after contracting Ebola Bundibugyo. ‎ ‎U.S. health officials are supporting Ebola response efforts in DR Congo and Uganda after confirmed outbreaks. ‎The New York Times ‎Acting CDC Director Jay Bhattacharya said the agency is working directly with Congo’s Ministry of Health through its local office. ‎ ‎“CDC has extensive experience and expertise in responding to Ebola outbreaks, and we are working closely with the DRC Ministry of ⁠Health through ou...

New Outbreak of Ebola Kills 65 in Eastern DR Congo

Image
‎A new Ebola outbreak has been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where 65 deaths have already been recorded, according to Africa’s leading public health agency. ‎ ‎The outbreak is centered in the remote Ituri province, where the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said officials have identified 246 suspected cases. The agency reported on Friday that the majority of infections and deaths have been concentrated in the Mongwalu and Rwampara health zones. ‎ ‎Ebola outbreak confirmed in DR Congo’s Ituri province with 65 deaths and 246 suspected cases reported by Africa CDC. ‎Al-hadji Kudra Maliro/The Associated Press ‎ ‎Authorities have confirmed four deaths among laboratory-tested Ebola patients. Suspected infections have also emerged in Bunia, the capital city of Ituri province, which lies near the border with Uganda. ‎ ‎Preliminary laboratory analysis found the Ebola virus in 13 out of 20 samples tested, further confirming the spread of...